Happy National French Toast Day!
After a lot of taste testing, gladly done by my housemates, I’ve created this sweet and zesty Christmas spiced French toast recipe that is great for Christmas morning breakfast. I always love the flavours that come with this time of year, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, orange, cranberry - all delicious! This recipe is so festive and tasty and pretty easy to make in batches too. I can’t get enough of the orangey goodness of this dish made even better by a sprinkle of icing sugar, both extras, but totally necessary for the ultimate finished meal. I would definitely recommend using fairly solid white bread slices for the toast, as they seem to soak up the flavours so much better and hold their shape better when cooking.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- 4 slices thick white bread
- 3 medium eggs
- a splash of milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg (add ginger if you'd like!)
- A pad of butter
- 1 orange
- Crack the eggs into a dish or bowl and beat with a fork until creamy and orange. Then add the cinnamon and spice(s) and beat gently. Don’t worry if there are flecks of spice in the mixture, the milk and sugar even everything out.
- Add the milk and the sugar then beat everything until combined. Put a frying pan on a medium heat with the butter, I always like to keep the butter beside where I’m cooking the toast in case it begins to burn.
- Soak the bread in the eggy mixture, then when the butter is melted and bubbling, add to the pan. Cook for a couple of minutes each side or until the toast is nicely browned but not burnt. If the toast is a little soggy but beginning to burn, add a little more butter until the toast is nice and crisp.
- Put the toast onto a plate and squeeze over the juice of the orange, be careful not to drench the toast so much that it becomes soggy. Sprinkle with a little powdered sugar and serve with a slice of fresh orange. Delicious!
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!