How much have you missed?
Here’s a recap of this week. Just click the story to read on!
- Elizabeth Warren revealed the results of a DNA test, indicating that she is a descendant of Native Americans to call out the racism in Trump’s ‘Pocahontas’ comments. The Cherokee Nation is not happy. *It was revealed that American mercenaries were hired to assassinate politicians in the Middle East.
- A judge has unblocked an Obama era “Borrower Defense to Repayment” rule, designed to help students who were cheated by for-profit colleges get relief on their debt. Betsy DeVos had previously attempted to block the rule.
- Canada has become the second country after Uruguay to legalize recreational marijuana. They will make it easier to pardon anyone convicted of simple marijuana possession charges.
- Trump is facing backlash for calling Stormy Daniels “horseface” and saying he would “go after” her. This is in response to a federal judge dismissed a defamation lawsuit Stormy had filed against Trump.
- Saudi Arabia’s crown prince agreed to an investigation on the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
- Pete Davidson and Ariana Grande have ended their engagement after 4 months. Ariana is taking an internet break in the wake of the news.
- Meghan Markle is pregnant with her first child with Prince Harry, Kensington Palace confirmed.
- Lady Gaga confirmed her engagement to Christian Carino during a speech for Elle’s 25th Annual Women in Hollywood Celebration.
- Ross Butler from Riverdale and 13 Reasons Why is denying accusations that he co-conspired in a murder.
- Princess Eugenie (Will and Harry’s cousin) got married this week and had two incredible dresses.
- The search is on for a missing Wisconsin teenager is and suspected to be in danger after her parents were tragically found dead in their home.
- Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen has died of cancer.
- Survivors of Larry Nassar’s sexual abuse are speaking out against the new Head of USA Gymnastics, Mary Bono, for working for the law firm representing him during the investigation, and allegedly helping to “cover up” the abuse.
- The death toll for Hurricane Michael has jumped to 29 people.
- An explosion at a Crimean college has killed at least 19 people, including the attacker.
- A white woman was fired from her job after a video went viral of her blocking a black man from entering the apartment building that they both lived in. *Members of a Far-Right Men’s group called the ‘Proud Boys’ violently beat up protesters in New York, but have not yet been arrested.
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis, a paralysis-causing condition, has been confirmed in 62 people.
- A young girl in Florida was the first flu-related death of the season in the state. She was not vaccinated.
- Global warming is expected to make beer more expensive.
- A new report which graded the 25 largest burger chains in the US on their use of antibiotics revealed that only Shake Shack and BurgerFi received an A while the other 23 got a D- or F.
- A salmonella outbreak from raw chicken has affected 92 people in 29 states.