How much have you missed?
Here’s a recap of this week. Just click the story to read on!
- A new trade agreement (to replace NAFTA) is in the works between the US, Mexico, and Canada. They call it, creatively, USMCA.
- Jeff Flake turned the tables on the Kavanaugh confirmation hearing, saying he would vote “no” to confirm Kavanaugh unless an FBI Investigation took place. There is one copy of the FBI report, and Republicans are pushing for a vote while Democrats are not satisfied by the rushed report.
- The Trump administration has halted visas from being granted to unmarried same-sex partners of United Nations officials and employees, as well as foreign diplomats.
- A lawsuit is seeking to prevent Trump from using the Presidential Alert messaging system, citing a First Amendment violation.
- A former classmate of Brett Kavanaugh’s at Yale said Kavanaugh drank much more than he let on in his testimony.
- Cardi B turned herself into the authorities for ordering assaults on two women in a Queens bar back in August. She has been charged with assault and reckless endangerment.
- Lindsay Lohan was slapped by the mother of a homeless family in Russia after she accused the parents of trafficking children and tried to take the children in. This all happened on her Instagram Live.
- Kanye West gave a unique performance on the season premiere of Saturday Night Live this week. He ended the show with an impassioned pro-trump speech, and accused the SNL cast of bullying him for wearing a Make America Great Again hat.
- Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge, has returned to Royal duties following her maternity leave.
- Kaley Cuoco will be playing Harley Quinn in an animated series for DC Universe, the subscription streaming platform by DC Comics.
- Ana Maria Archila and Maria Gallagher have been credited for convincing Senator Jeff Flake to call for an FBI investigation into Brett Kavanaugh’s sexual misconduct allegations. They caught him in the elevator.
*Indonesia has been hit by a devastating Earthquake and Tsunami. The death toll is already over 1300.
- Amazon has raised the minimum wage to $15 per hour for their employees in the U.S., including temporary employees.
- 4 arrests have been made in following last year’s tragic violence at a Charlottesville white supremacy rally.
- A tragic mass shooting in Florence County, SC left one six law enforcement officers wounded and one dead.
- National Geographic revealed a mysterious object behind Pluto, which likely indicates the existence of a Planet X.
- The discovery of The Goblin planet with an extremely elongated orbit could help in redefining the reach of our solar system.
- Envelopes that were sent to the Pentagon, addressed to Secretary of Defense James Mattis and Chief of Naval Operations Adm. John Richardson have tested positive for ricin, a deadly poison.
- The Nobel Prize in Physics was awarded to three scientists who are harnessing light at a microscopic level. Hopefully it will one day be used in cancer treatment.
- The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service has issued a press release about over 6.5 million pounds of JBS Tolleston, Inc.’s raw beef being recalled nationwide due to salmonella outbreaks in 16 states.
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!