Here are 5 things that you can do in order to make your life more environmentally friendly and lower your own personal carbon footprint!
1. Conserve waterSkip rinsing your dishes before they go in the dishwasher can save up to 20 gallons of water per dishwasher load, plus you're saving the energy used to heat that additional water and your own time too.
2. Go meatlessAt least once a week, try going meat free, if you're not already vegetarian or vegan. It requires 2,500 gallons of water to produce one pound of beef, and for each hamburger that originates from animals raised on rainforest lane, 55 square feet of forest would have been destroyed.
3. Shop with sustainable brandsB/c there's no point in you being amazing to the environment if you're still shopping with brands that aren't.UNiDAYS® works with tons of great brands that are committed to being sustainable. So whatcha waiting for? Go Green in Quarantine with us, and get your sustainable shopping on!
4. Re-Use & recycleReplace things like plastic bags with cotton tote bags that you can re-use every time you go to the store in stead of buying and storing a ton of plastic bags. If you already have a stash of plastic grocery store bags, use them until they wear out and then invest in some cotton totes. Recycle everything that you can from plastic to glass to cans that store food. Contact your local council if you don't know what your area's recycling stance is.
5. Laundry—go big!Only wash your laundry when you definitely have a full load in the machine. This will save you doing smaller and less full loads and thus save energy and water. Plus, you could switch to a cooler wash and save even more energy. Most clothes do not need to be washed in really hot water anyway, as they usually just need freshening up. Obviously if things are really soiled, for example, they have mud or grass stains on them from college sports, these will need a higher heat. Normal clothes won't need to be washed at a heat this high. Turn down the heat, save energy!
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!