Take it from me
I learned a lot of very valuable life lessons throughout my undergrad years down at The University of Houston (Go Coogs!). I decided to write down and share some of these lessons as “advice to my freshman self” with my little brother when I dropped him off at The University of Arkansas last year for his first year of college. I hope they will be as valuable for you as they have been for him!
(In no particular order)
1. “Luck” favors the prepared…
2. Do whatever you want in life, but be the best at it.
3. If you’re the smartest person in the room, you’re in the wrong room.
4. Don’t be afraid to go for someone “out of your league.” You’ll surprise yourself.
5. Buy watches and have one for every occasion.
6. Never go to the movies on the first date, do something unique instead.
7. Nothing looks more badass than a well-tailored suit.
8. Buy good face scrub, face wash, and face lotion. Take care of your skin. Your older self will thank your younger self.
9. Always look a person in the eyes when you are speaking to them.
10. Buy a plunger before you need a plunger.
11. Exercise makes you happy! Run, lift, and play sports. Your body will thank you.
12. Brush your teeth before you get dressed.
13. A small amount of your paycheck should go into savings every payday.
14. Call Mom and Dad at least once a week.
15. Learn how to tie a good tie knot. Preferably a full windsor.
16. Always give a strong and firm handshake.
17. Compliment her shoes, and take notice when she gets her hair done.
18. Never leave a pint of beer, or a glass of whiskey unfinished.
19. If you aren’t confident, fake it. It will come.
20. You can tell the size of a man by the size of the things that bother him.
21. Be conscious of your body language.
22. Always stand up to shake someone's hand.
23. Never lend anything you can’t afford to lose.
24. Ask more than you answer. Everybody likes to talk about themselves.
25. Keep a change of clothes in your car.
26. Buy good tools, so you only have to buy them once. They’ll last a lifetime.
27. Always keep a $20 in your wallet.
28. Learn how to change a tire, and how change the oil in your car.
29. Go with the decision that will make a good story.
30. When you walk, look straight ahead, not down at your feet. Observe the world around you.
31. Nice guys don’t finish last, boring guys do.
32. Find your passion and figure out how to get paid doing it.
33. No matter what their status in life, respect everyone.
34. The most important thing is personal responsibility, you will make some bad decisions and bad things will happen. It’s your job to overcome them!
35. The first one to get angry loses.
36. Do what needs to be done without complaining. Complainers are losers.
37. Never stop learning. Listen to podcasts instead of music sometimes.
38. Always go out in public like you’re about to meet the love of your life.
39. Don’t change yourself to make someone happy, unless that someone is you.
40. Women find confidence sexy as hell.
41. Remember that anything you post online is there forever.
42. Mom and Dad aren’t right on everything, but they are right about most things.
43. Be careful with credit cards. Control your impulse buying.
44. Last but not least… not one person is on their deathbed wishing they spent more time at work. ENJOY YOUR LIFE!!!
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!