If you are with a partner and want to be with them for a long time, then being open and vulnerable with them about your thoughts, feelings, and fears, and allowing them to be open with you as well, is what leads to a relationship that lasts. Love is about accepting someone for all that they are and having them accept you in return and you have to be open to doing that, even if it is hard.
1. A healthy relationship fosters open communication
If you feel that you can't be open with your significant other, if you feel like you can't talk to them about your feelings or if you feel like you can't address when you're feeling uncomfortable by what they're doing or saying, then that is not a healthy relationship. Both parties need to allow each other to voice their opinions and feelings. gif source
2. Holding it in makes for a bigger explosion.
Fighting is a normal part of a relationship, it is ok to have differing opinions or feelings, and it is ok to be mad at your significant other sometimes. But if you hold it inside, if you just push down the anger or annoyances, when it finally comes to the surface (because it always does) sometimes there is no coming back.
3. This doesn't just apply to traditional relationships.
If you are in friends with benefits type relationship, this applies to you as well. Being open to exactly what you're looking for and what you are expecting from the relationship is so important to keep both parties from being hurt or uncomfortable. If your feelings change let them know, be open and honest, even if it sucks, it'll be the best thing to do in the long run.
4. Being open is important in every facet of your life.
If you can't be open in your relationship, the place where you are supposed to feel completely comfortable, vulnerable, and safe, then I can guarantee that your missing out on being open in other parts of your life. Being open in your relationship can be practice for being open with your family, with your boss, and your friends, and that helps to foster strong connections in your life, or shows you any toxic relationships you may have. gif source
5. Openness leads to sustainability
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!