Eye care is really important, it may seem like something your mom always used to sort out for you when you were at home but, now you're at college and it's time to sort things out for yourself!
1. Find an opticianThere could be one on campus or you might have to venture into your college town but it's a great idea to get registered where you'll be living for the majority of the year. Plus, they usually won't be able to help you in an emergency if you're not registered so it's better to be safe rather than sorry!
2. Stock up!If you already buy your contact lenses online it could be a good idea to stock up before you head off to college on lenses, cases and solution so you have one less thing to worry about when you're away from home. You can save 10% online when you shop at [1 800 Contacts](https://www.myunidays.com/partners/1800contacts/view/online?utm_source=blog&utm_medium=un_social&utm_campaign=bts_2017&utm_content=-1800c_blog) using your UNiDAYS discount so why not get prepared?
3. How to read your prescription (RX)So, you've had your eye test and you need to get yourself some new contact lenses or glasses because your eye sight has changed but what does all that stuff on your prescription mean? If you're planning to get your contact lenses or glasses online then you'll need to read it yourself. Check out 1800 Contacts great guide for deciphering your contact lens prescription here. Fun Fact! Your right eye will be down as the OD or oculus dexter which is Latin for right eye and your left eye will be OS or oculus sinister, which, you guessed it, is Latin for left eye! If you have the same prescription for both eyes then you will see OU which means ocular uniter or 'both eyes'.
4. Be cleanSeriously, college is one of the best places for germs. And, by best, we mean the total worst. You don't know who else is going to be living in your dorm or suite and they could be not very good at washing their hands or being generally hygienic. It's best to protect yourself by keeping your eye care products in a safe place that you know is clean and not in a shared bathroom. Also, make sure that you change your contact lens solution everyday if you wear monthly lenses and always use an antibacterial hand gel or wash your hands before touching your eyes or your contact lenses.
Join UNiDAYS now for free student discount
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!