1. Keep CalmDon’t stress yourself out, this is the worst thing that you can do. Sure you need to be proactive but you need to chill in order to get your brain straight! Prioritize your workload into what’s due in first to last and you’ll be on the right track.
2. Get A PlanStart with a general outline of ideas for your assignment. If you’re working within a group, a brainstorming session over coffee is a great idea. If you’re working alone on this one, grab your mug and settle down with some paper and lots of colored pens - jot down all the ideas you have and make notes about the topics you’ll have to research too. Also, if it’s a really big paper, try and get a timeline for when you’d like to get different sections finished by. This is great for time-keeping.
3. Research!This is obviously essential but also make sure that you keep all the sources of where you get your information from for future reference.
4. Take BreaksMake sure you keep up with the 411 on the UNiDAYS® blog for a breather away from typing or head out for dinner with your roommate or go for a run for a longer break. Do anything to take your mind off the assignment - you can’t work productively if you’re working at it non-stop.
5. Ask For HelpIf you’re seriously struggling with where to start on your assignment, it’s better to ask your professors sooner rather than later. They’ll be happy to assist you with anything that you need. Don’t leave it too late - it’ll be your fault then!
6. Get An ExtensionThis is similar to the above, if you’re really in need of an extension, ask for one. Don’t wait until the very last minute unless it’s really an emergency, this will look like you’ve procrastinated and then panicked! Generally, it’s good practice to ask for an extension via a formal email to your professor. Mention at the end that you’ll happily also meet in person to discuss the reasons and they should be more than accommodating.
7. ProofreadAlways do this first thing in the morning when you’re raring to go, coffee in hand! Your mind will be clearest then, doing this at 3pm when all you want to do is eat a brownie is not the time to check over your work. It’s also a great idea to get someone else to read over your paper, just in case you miss something.
8. Celebrate!You’ve done it! You need to celebrate how hard you’ve worked to get that assignment nailed. Treat yourself to a day out or at least a trip to the movies. Everyone’s writing styles will be different when it comes to getting assignments done but these are eight essentials that you’ll need to do in order to nail that paper. Whether you’re a Last Minute Larry or a serial planner, good luck!
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!