How much have you missed?
Here’s a recap of this week. Just click the story to read on!
- Trump said that he does not believe that white supremacism is a growing issue after a white nationalist carried out the mass shooting at a New Zealand mosque.
- Trump is being criticized for bashing the late Senator John McCain and complaining that he was not thanked for granting Senator McCain a state funeral.
- The Trump administration is expanding the “Migration Protection Protocols” policy, which will send asylum-seekers back to Mexico while their asylum cases are processed in the US.
- A new report by the ACLU alleges that ICE has been wrongly detainining hundreds of U.S. citizens whom they have misidentified as undocumented immigrants.
- A judge has ruled that the Trump administration’s transgender military ban cannot go into effect yet, which contradicts a memo that the administration previously released saying that they had the all-clear.
- A Kentucky judge has blocked a fetal heartbeat bill, that would ban abortions when a heartbeat is detected in the fetus. This action will (temporarily) keep the state’s one abortion clinic open.
- Bernie Sanders has become the first 2020 presidential campaign to promise to offset its carbon emissions from traveling across the country.
- Sam Smith came out as nonbinary, saying, “I am not male or female.”
- Instagram has launched in-app checkout on shoppable posts from over 20 brands.
- Apple has announced their new AirPods, which come with a wireless charging case, will accommodate longer talk time, and are Siri compatible.
- YouTube star Lilly Singh is going to replace Carson Daly to become the only woman (and first Indian-Canadian) late-night host on broadcast TV.
- The first full trailer for Toy Story 4 was (finally) released.
- As a result of the college admissions scandal, Lori Laughlin has been dropped by Hallmark ( as well as Fuller House)and her daughter, influencer Olivia Jade, has been dropped by Sephora.
- Stranger Things released the season 3 trailer and revealed that season 3 is set to premiere on July 4th.
- After audio from 2015 surfaced of YouTuber Shane Dawson describing a sexual encounter with his cat, Cheeto, Shane released statements saying that it was taken out of context and had been a fake sketch idea. Days later, Shane revealed he had gotten engaged to longtime boyfriend Ryland Adams, which is being criticized online as a PR stunt to distract from the cat fiasco.
- After a tragic shooting in a New Zealand mosque killed 49 people and injured even more, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has announced that military-style semi-automatic weapons will be banned nationally and a buyback scheme will be introduced.
- Teens around the world walked out of class to protest lack of action on climate change last week.
- The “bomb cyclone” that hit the midwest has caused at least three deaths in Nebraska and Iowa from flooding, and has caused over $1 billion in flood damage.
- Mozambique is facing severe flooding from Tropical Cyclone Idai. At least 300 people have been declared dead as a result.
- The US has denied visas to dozens of women from Africa and the Middle East who were trying to attend the UN Women’s Conference. Worth noting: The US is not supposed to restrict people or non-government organizations from visiting the UN, per a treaty from 1946.
- Recent iceberg breaks at the Grey Glacier in Chile’s Patagonia are causing scientists to worry that climate change is causing ruptures like these to increase in frequency.
- A new drug has been approved by the FDA for use in postpartum depression, although the drug is currently set to be over $30,000.
- As global warming causes glaciers to melt from Mount Everest, the bodies of mountaineers who died while scaling the mountain are being uncovered.
- A whale that washed up dead in the Philippines had eaten 88 pounds of plastic and was vomiting up blood just before dying.
- Scientists have figured out how to make objects levitate using light.
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!