1. Don't Be BlinkeredBy this, we mean don't solely focus on your career path or (lack of) job. Don't obsessed and compare yourself to others because it's really unhelpful. This is an energy drainer and you don't need anything sucking the energy out of you at one of the busiest times of your life.
2. Continue To LearnEven though college is over this doesn't mean that you stop learning. Find interesting people and ask them to meet for a quick coffee and ask them all sorts of questions about their jobs. How did they get there? What's their favourite part of their job? Do they have any advice. This kind of learning in invaluable within your job search. Networking is key, ask around and you'll definitely find people that you can chat to.
3. No LimitsJust because you majored in something specific doesn't mean that you specifically have to work in this area. Obviously things like medicine and law are fairly rigid but if you majored in marketing, doesn't mean that you can't start your own fashion business. Kait Hurley, the communications manager for Barre3 has a degree in history and believes that it has really set her up for her role at the company. [blockquote quote="All of that research and paper writing taught me how to think critically and communicate clearly" name="Kait Hurley"]
4. Find What You Don't LikeEven if you're not 100% into your first job or your first internship doesn't mean that it's not taught you anything. If you don't like a specific aspect, ask yourself why not and then pursue another job that does't involve the bits that you didn't enjoy. Every job is a learning curve and it's just as important to figure out what you don't like.
5. Stay SocialIt's easy to hide yourself away after college and become a hermit applying for jobs from the comfort of your bed but this is definitely not the best way to go about things. Make sure you're still seeing your friends, family and networking as much as you can. If you live in a big city there will always be meet up groups, support groups and social clubs that can help you take your mind off the dreaded job search. You might even find a new path to go down! If you have already nailed yourself a job post-college it's easy to fall into the trap of constantly going out for drinks with coworkers in order to feel like you fit in. Perhaps suggest trying out a workout class like Barre3 or heading for a run after work instead of pricey cocktails.
6. BudgetMoney will undoubtedly be tight so you'll need to manage your funds in order to keep stress to a minimum. Create a budget and make sure you know exactly what your income is and exactly what your bills and outgoings are. You're then left with your budget for treats and social occasions, use it wisely!
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!