Ever ask your mom, roommate, boyfriend/girlfriend where all your money's gone? The struggle is real, I know but you might be spending money on things you didn't realize and this is probably where the majority of your cash is going.
1. You're Wearing ItIt's hard if you love to shop but is it worth being in the red for that new pair of booties? I mean if you genuinely need new shoes because of the weather or they've worn out, it's cool but just because you saw Selena Gomez wearing some like them, not cool. Try eBay, Craigslist and blog sales for deals if you can't resist and if you do buy something and it's still in the shopper 10 days later, take it back for a full refund!
2. You Buy Your LunchAnd I mean, every single day. Think about that $5 can cost you up to $100 , 5 times a week for four weeks in a month. Boom, that's a lot of cash on sad sandwiches. Obviously I'm not saying that if you make your lunch at home every day it'll be free, but it'll definitely be cheaper.
3. You Have A HabitWhether this is smoking, buying that latte every day on the way to college or your favourite cocktail, if you cut down you'll save some serious money. Take that $3-5 that you spend on coffee every day and put it in a pot, check back in a month and see how much you would have spent (and have now saved!) on coffee! I'm not denying you the odd treat but the mindset of "but it's only $2" leads to empty pockets if it's a regular thing.
4. You're Not PlanningBudgeting is boring but, in the end surely being broke is a lot more boring, not to mention stressful and hard to handle? All you need to do is work out what you need to spend your money on each month, be that rent, food, phone bills, gym memberships, everything that comes out like clockwork. Then you need to work out how much money you have coming in, take off those monthly or weekly payments and then you're left with a number for your disposable income. If this is the number for the month, divide it by 4 or 5 (depending on the weeks in the month) and then you've got your weekly spends for whatever you fancy! It also helps to keep a spending diary if you still don't know where your money is going, if you write down everything you spend you'll soon start to see patterns and find out where you can cut down.
5. You Don't Shop AroundDid you just go for the first internet, phone or TV contract because it was easy? You could have been on a much cheaper contract and could be saving money. Shop about and see if you can get cash back or free gifts for switching to a new provider!
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!