Hey guys, it's Marisa!
As promised, I'm back to talk you through the dreaded process of interviewing. Once your resume is perfect (seriously, don't say you're big on attention to detail if it's not perfection), you're ready to take on future employers face-to-face.
Your resume might get your foot in the door, but the interview will ensure the rest of you will stay there for good. Heed my advice if you want to nail the interview process.
And trust me, I'm a #boss.
1. Be on time but not awkwardly early
Some offices are open-concept and this can be incredibly awkward! DO get there on time though-- run if you have to!
2. Bring a copy of your resume
Fancy paper doesn’t matter but it shows you care
3. Aim to have a conversation, not a robotic Q&A session
This is where your fun interests come in handy on your resume. Like hot sauce? Say so! Someone interviewing you might also love hot sauce.
4. Ask thoughtful questions
5. Write stuff down
They take note when you do.
6. Do your homework
Read everything you can about the company. Know who you're talking to. It will shine through.
7. Be enthusiastic
If you love the company and just want a foot in the door and will do anything for a shot, share that!
8. Dress professionally but show a little flair
9. Be descriptive yet succinct
If you find that you’ve just been talking for 30 minutes without so much as the interviewer asking a question to interrupt, they are probably politely letting you talk your way out of the job. We are looking to see if you can listen, engage and interact as much as you can talk.
10. Make sure the job is a fit for you as much as you are for the job
Think about it this way: you are interviewing them, too!
11. Don’t ask about salary, hours, benefits, or vacation in the first three interviews!
Once you’ve established there is potentially a mutual fit (usually interview 3), ask if they can share a bit more detail around the benefits
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!