1. Swap mayonnaise for smashed avoInstead of having a healthy meal and adding heaps of mayo on the side, add some smashed avocado instead. Avocado will replace saturated fats with healthy fats and add goodness to your meals. Try adding it to a salad or sandwich and taking it with you for lunch in between classes.
2. Add proteinIf you can't resist your favourite treats like pizza, pancakes and pies why not try mixing them up with a high protein version? This way you're getting all the protein to support your hard work in the gym with the same yummy taste. We tried out some of the awesome Muscle Food protein pizzas and some sweet treats too! These awesome syrups from Muscle Food definitely curb those sweet cravings without having to coat yourself in sugar! Add to pancakes, porridge, yoghurt, anything that you think needs a little added naughtiness to make it tasty.
3. Swap sugary snacks for fruit and vegWhen it gets to 3pm, we can’t help but need an afternoon pick me up, you know the drill. Instead of sugary snacks, swap them for carrot sticks and hummus or fresh fruit. These will give you that much needed boost of energy to get you through the rest of the day. Alternatively, snack on a handful of nuts and seeds.
4. Swap shop bought smoothies for homemadeBuying smoothies and juices from Boost or Woolworths can mean huge amounts of added sugar that you don’t need. Wake up five minutes earlier each morning and put a heap of fruit and veggies in a blender and you have your own! Making them yourself is far healthier as you know exactly what’s going in it.
5. Swap White Grains For Whole GrainsSwapping white grains for whole grains is probably the easiest healthy food swap you can make with minimal effort. Simply swap your usual white bread for rye bread and white rice for brown rice. White grains are stripped of it’s nutrients so adding whole grains to your diet has amazing nutritional benefits that will help make you look and feel better.
6. Swap ice cream for frozen yoghurtIf you’ve got a sweet tooth, reduce your fat and sugar intake by choosing frozen yoghurt or sugar free fruit sorbet instead of traditional ice cream. For extra goodness, top it with fresh or frozen fruit. You could even go one step further and try making your own protein ice cream with your favorite protein powder and Greek yoghurt!
7. Swap chocolate treats for cacaoCacao satisfies those sweet cravings and has much better nutritional benefits than your regular chocolate bars. We all love em’, but if you’re looking for a healthier alternative, head to your local health store to pick up some cacao nibs or cacao powder and add it to baking or as a small snack.
8. Swap semi-skimmed milk for almond milkAlmond milk is high in good fats and the vitamins and nutrients in Almond milk help to build muscles and make your skin glow. It’s also high in protein and tastes delicious! What’s not to love?!
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!