Manchester is a thriving city, packed full of music, sport and fashion and the ideal choice for any student wanting an unforgettable University experience. If Manchester is one of your options for University, here are a few things that may influence your decision!
1. Music sceneManchester is famous for it’s music scene with the likes of Oasis and The Smiths originating from the city. Warehouse Project, Albert Hall and Sankeys are popular night spots for students and guarantee an amazing night out. The city also hosts Parklife festival each year where thousands of students gather to see artists such as Disclosure, Rudimental, Jessie Ware plus an all-star DJ line-up perform. The University of Manchester also have Pangea, a music event at the students union a couple of times a year where everyone dresses up which is not to be missed in freshers week! &hl=en
2. Sports clubsStudent life in Manchester has lots of sports opportunities for all levels, whether you’re moving to Manchester to try something new or carry on a sport you do at home. I was part of the legendary University of Manchester ski club ‘SKUM’, Manchester’s biggest and best society, taking 700 students on what is guaranteed to be the best week of your life. Ski trips do not disappoint and for £364 you literally can’t go wrong. Although, there is often limited skiing, maximum drinking but you will meet the best people at University. Sports societies are something you need to be a part of! Image c/o SKUM Official Images
3. The Northern QuarterThe Northern Quarter is a hotspot for eye-catching street art that is becoming more and more popular with students as a result of its vintage shops, independent cafes and vibrant nightlife. I highly recommend Home Sweet Home as the perfect hangover cure serving cheeseburger toasties, milkshakes and cakes to die for! If you’re wanting to try out the nightlife, Mint Lounge, 2022NQ and Hula Tiki Lounge are all student favourites and guarantee a good night. Image c/o Jenna Armstrong
4. ShoppingPerfect for splashing out your student loan, Manchester is well known for its shopping as the Arndale, Trafford Centre and The Northern Quarter are on your door step. If you’re down for embracing the edgy-ness of OP, the Northern Quarter has a vast array of vintage shops and Afflecks Palace which is full of independent fashion and vintage bits.
5. NightlifeThe nightlife in Fallowfield has more of a student vibe, with clubs such as 256, Revolution and Koh Tao popular amongst students. A city centre favourite of mine is Juicy, a R&B night at Joshua Brooks on a Wednesday that is a sell out every week. Canal Street has flamboyant pop music that is packed full of gay clubs; this area does not disappoint when searching for a unique and fun night out! Students have also been known to visit the cities classiest bars. Cloud 23 and Manchester House are top floor bars with amazing views of the city. Drinks have price tags to match, however it is a gorgeous place to celebrate results or birthdays.
6. Eating OutManchester’s choice of eating out is one of the best. The city offers a wide variety, from street food markets in Piccadilly gardens on a Friday and Saturday, to China Town and the famous Curry Mile. Visiting the curry mile for food is a must! The options of where to eat are endless, but I recommend Mughli as a popular choice. Many of the restaurants on The Curry Mile also allow you to bring your own booze which is a massive bonus and cuts the cost!
7. ParksThere are several parks in Manchester; Platt Fields is a favourite where students often have BBQ’s in the Summer. It is located right next to the Fallowfield campus so it is a close by getaway from revision.
8. Brunch goalsFederal Cafe & Bar is one of the best places to head for brunch in Manchester! Located super near the Arndale centre it's so easy to find and has the most amazing coffee and breakfasts.
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!