Didn’t get full marks?
Here’s your answer sheet.
1. “You should drink at least eight glasses of water per day”
This is actually a misquoted recommendation dating back to 1945. The actual recommendation is 1 millilitre for each calorie of food consumed and since the average diet is about 2000 calories, 2 litres (or 8 glasses) was recommended. But you might be already consuming much of this water in your diet (veggies, fruit and other foods with high water content).
2. “People who eat spicy food live longer”
A 2015 study from the Harvard School of Public Health found that people who ate spicy foods almost every day had a 14% lower risk of death than people who only ate them once a week.
3. Lifting weights can help combat depression
Research from 2018 showed that people who do resistance training reported a significant reduction in symptoms of depression.
4. Zucchini contain more water than celery
Real close one, but zucchini wins: 96% v 95%
5. Shaving hair causes it to grow back faster/darker/rougher
A clinical trial way back in 1928 disproved this, so get with the times.
6. Drinking coffee can reduce your risk of Type 2 diabetes
Its various benefits were uncovered during an extensive 2012 study on coffee consumption in 402,260 people aged 50 – 71)
7. Your hair and nails continue to grow after you die
Even creepier: your skin shrinks, so it just appears like your hair and nails have grown. Source.
8. There is a link between gum health and erectile dysfunction
Gum disease causes chronic inflammation, which then affects your blood vessels… including the ones down below. Source.
9. Poor sleep lowers your pain threshold
According to a study published in ‘The Journal of Neuroscience’, lack of sleep makes the body less resilient.
10. We use only 10% of our brains
The myth goes as far back as 1907… modern neuroscience says there are no dormant areas of the brain, though.
11. Reading in dim light ruins your eyesight
It does cause eye strain, and isn’t recommended, but is unlikely to cause permanent damage to your eyes.
Need a lil healthy pick-me-up?
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!