We all have them, but are you really using your iPhone to its full potential? Whether you’re someone who only uses your phone for selfies and insta, or if you’re a self-confessed techie there will be something in this list you never knew your iPhone could do!
Change your passcode to include letters and numbers
Whether it’s because you’re all about making your security top-notch or if you’re just fed up of people guessing your password because it’s so obviously your birthday, your mum’s birthday or your cats birthday, here’s how you get an alphanumerical passcode:
- Go to your settings
- Touch ID and passcode
- Change passcode
- Tap ‘passcode options’ when prompted to type in your new passcode
- Select custom alphanumerical code
- Enter your new passcode
Skip calls with a ‘remind me later’
This one is so handy. Not only can you get out of answering those unwanted calls and saving them for later, but your phone can remind you to call back. So if you’ve been missing calls from someone you need to get hold of, follow the below steps to set up a remind for yourself.
- For iOS 9 or 10 users, simply tap the remind me button
- You can choose from options ‘remind in an hour’, ‘ remind me when I leave’ or ‘remind me when I’m home’
Tip: Make sure you’ve updated your address in Contacts, otherwise your iPhone won’t know where ‘home’ is. The timings will be based on your GPS movements.
For iOS 11 users or later.
We’ve all been there. You’re holding something in one hand, trying to open a door and suddenly you get that urgent text you have to reply to. To make sure you’re prepared for these eventualities:
- Head to your settings
- Tap One-Handed Keyboard. Select Left or Right.
Stop music playing with a timer
If you like to fall asleep to music or if you want to be in an out of the shower in 30 mins so you can get ready for your night out, this feature allows any music you are playing to be stopped, so you’ll always know how long it has been. It’s really simple too:
- Head to Clock
- Click Timer, then when timer ends
- Select the option ‘Stop playing’
- Set your timer for however many minutes you want
Disable message preview
This one is an oldie but a goodie- if you’ve worked it out your life is probably less stressful, if not- we’re here to help! We’ve all experienced that uncomfortable moment when you’ve been texting someone you’d rather no one knew about. So here’s how to stop your prying flatmates/siblings/classmates from seeing who’s hitting up your phone.
- Go to Settings
- Show preview
- Tap the option and turn it off to exclude a review of the message in alerts and banners
…and for those of us who exclusively message on WhatsApp, here’s how to hide your message notifications
There’s no worse feeling than seeing a message pop up mid-way through showing your mum your holiday pics!
- Go to settings
- Scroll to WhatsApp
- Toggle off ‘show on lock screen’ or ‘Show as banner’ depending on how private you’re feeling.
In need of a new phone? Make sure you check the UNiDAYS discount to save <3
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!