London is expensive, there is no getting around that. But down quieter roads and in overlooked places you can feast on the capital’s best grub, at slashed prices. To give us a head start, we got in touch with DesignMyNight to point us in the right direction. Without further ado, here are 10 of London’s tastiest budget restaurants. Happy feasting.
1. Absurd BirdRenowned for plating up tasty Southern cuisine, Absurd Bird is a great contender for flavoursome comfort food in the city. Landing in Soho mid-2016, it boasts two levels and a cosy basement den for all your hideaway needs. As for the food? It’s a bloody bargain. Small plates start from £2.50 while main courses start from £7, and you can add a side for just £3 extra (we recommend the sweet potato bake topped with marshmallows). We almost forgot to mention - they have happy hour everyday from 5pm - 7pm too, meaning £5 cocktails and £3 lagers with your meal.
2. The SchoolhouseForget throwback Thursday, head to The Schoolhouse in Battersea for the ultimate nostalgia fix. Taking inspiration from an old schoolhouse, expect retro memorabilia, chalk boards and grub served on classic school trays. Skipping no meal times they serve breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner at more-than-reasonable prices. Dig into anything from the naughty schoolboy breakfast, £8.75, that comes with stacked fluffy pancakes, to the Schoolhouse burger topped with chipotle mayo and caramelised onions, all for £9.
3. The Breakfast ClubThe Breakfast Club in Canary Wharf is one helluva hangout. As the name suggests, they serve breakfast all day, with lunch and dinner options served from 12pm. They have a flawless menu with cracking options, and get this; the most expensive thing on the menu is the all-american breakfast - which will only set you back £11.40. If you ask us, it’s totally worth it; but with so many other options to choose from, you can’t go wrong. This place also has a secret bar in the basement. You didn’t hear that from us though, okay? Simply tell the staff that you have ‘’an appointment with the doctor’’ and BOOM; you’re in.
4. The FableThanks to its magical interior and near-to-unbeatable prices, The Fable is what you’d call a restaurant gem. Its interior is inspired by iconic fairy tales and spans across three floors, but do yourself a favour and try nab the bookcase booth (it makes for a great Instagram post). Serving classics like fish pie with a cheddar crust for £10.50 and wagu burgers with blue cheese and tomato chutney for £13.75, you’ll find the quality of the food out of this world, especially when you take the price tag into consideration. If you want to celebrate something on a budget, The Fable is the place to book. https://twitter.com/thefablebar/status/788362348474015744
5. Dirty Bones ShoreditchMeat eaters, put your wallet woes to the back of your mind and make your way to Dirty Bones for mighty plates at little prices. Set up in a Grade II listed building, this casual restaurant is one of Shoreditch’s hottest hangouts - giving you yet another reason to make the journey. Dig into deep fried mac balls, £5.50 to start, before getting down and dirty with their main courses. Starting at £10, trying the crispy pork ribs with sweet miso and pomegranate glaze is a must. If that’s not of interest, fret not; there are plenty of hot dog and burger offerings under for a tenner to keep you happy too.
6. The Diner SohoWith multiple venues plotted across London, it’s clear that The Diner’s success is down to its strong theme and even stronger menu. Walking into the joint is like stepping into 1950’s America, and there are only four items on the menu running over £10. Bargain? We think so. Buttermilk chicken strips with hot sauce, £6.20, and vegan taco salad, £9, are just two of the dishes you can sink your teeth into. With desserts starting at £5, you can easily nab a three-course meal here for under £20.
7. Clerkenwell & SocialWith Justin Bieber’s name under its list of previous customers, all we can say is, ‘‘if Clerkenwell and Social is good enough for Beiber, it’s good enough for us’’. This Farringdon based, literary-themed spot makes hand-crafted pizzas and boasts a two-course lunch menu for £11.95. Visit this joint any Tuesday or Saturday and get buy one get one free on their pizzas, alongside an additional 2-4-1 cocktail offer throughout the week.
8. Ruby Blue BarDining near London’s tourist attractions can often mean two things; mediocre food, at awful prices. But here to save you from dreadful dining is Ruby Blue Bar. Just off Leicester Square, the venue is adorably intimate with a calm setting and relaxing atmosphere. They also have an outdoor terrace, perfect for celeb-spotting if you’re visiting on the night of a premier.. The menu is varied with sirloin steak, two sides and a choice of sauce starting at £16, and purse-friendly small plates boasting chicken and chorizo skewers and macaroni cheese fingers from £4. With such a central location, this place is a no-brainer.
9. Blueberry Bar and KitchenA selection of deals at Blueberry Bar and Kitchen mean that there is never a dull moment at this Shoreditch hangout. Head down on a Monday and choose from any of their delicious burgers and fries for just £5. We’re talking Italian stallions with blue cheese sauce and salami milano, cowgirls with guacamole and hot buffalo sauce, or Mexican rodeos with chipotle mayo and jalapenos. If these don’t tickle your fancy, Blueberry also offer reduced fajitas on Thursdays and salmon fillets on Fridays, alongside two hours for the price of one on their ping pong tables, Monday to Wednesday.
10. Fu ManchuFalling into the bracket of excellent value for money, Fu Manchu is one of Clapham’s best spots for no-fuss dining. Steamed dumplings start from £3.80 and bao buns from £4.00, with small savory eats coming in at anything from £3.50 plus. But if you come here on a Sunday, you can munch on all-you-can-eat dim sum for just £19.50. Do yourself a favour; don’t wear tight clothing. For more info on the best restaurants in London visit DesignMyNight; and follow them on Twitter and Instagram @DesignMyNight.
Join UNiDAYS Now For Free Student Discount
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!