Rising sprint star in UK athletics - check. Nike ambassador - check. Student at Kings College London - check. It's hard to believe that Shona Richards has fit all this in! We caught up with her at the Nike Women store on King's Road to see how she balances all of this on top of being a student.
1. How do you manage your uni work and training?
"With difficulty… organise everything, make sure everything is on point. So I make sure I have my training times sorted and my training plans sorted and my revision timetable sorted. And then obviously getting help from friends now and again."
2. What's the best and worst part about being a student?
"The best part is kind of the lifestyle. I love to see everyone and I guess be at uni with everyone. But the worst part has got to be the amount of work you have. It can be quite daunting when you look at the beginning of the year at the whole of your student timetable and you just think ‘oh man!'"
3. How has the experience as a Nike athlete been?
"I’m a Nike athlete and I’ve been with Nike for 3-4 years now and I absolutely love it. I wear Nike all the time I can't help myself! They support me really well and have really awesome campaigns!"
4. What’s your favourite Nike item?
....says nothing but points to her brand new velvet Nike Air Force 1s "it's got to be the shoes".
5. If you weren’t an athlete, what would be your dream job?
"I’m studying Global Health and Social Medicine so I would like to travel more and work with children around the world. That's kind of one of the things I want to do after athletics. I recently went to Vietnam and Cambodia travelling on my own and I loved it, so my plan is it do that and then work abroad as much as possible too."
6. What gets you out of bed in the morning?
"Sometimes it can be a bit tricky when you’re aching and you’ve got millions of things and work to do, but it's generally the idea that I want to get to the Olympics, I want to get on that platform and I want to get a good degree. So I’ve just got all of my goals there, every morning when I get up in the morning I have a bit of a reflection and think ‘right, in order to get there, what do I need to do? I need to get out of bed!’ I start the day there really, I start it right."
7. What app can’t you live without?
"It's got to be UNiDAYS!"
If, like Shona, you love wearing Nike remember to use your UNiDAYS account to get 10% off!
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!