1. Start earlyStart looking up application deadlines early and make note of any you would like to apply for and start working on your application. [blockquote quote="Fail to prepare, prepare to fail." name="Benjamin Franklin"]
2. NetworkAttend events related to your sector such as meet-ups and careers fairs and speak to any guest speakers that may be on campus that could know of any openings. Networking is a huge part of any career today and you never know who might offer you some invaluable advice or whom you could meet at a careers fair. Don’t be afraid to ask people for advice about the sector and their experience where they are working.
3. ApplicationThis is a really crucial point. Employers receive so many applications so you need to make your application stand out but for the right reasons. Many people forget to proof-read their application leaving behind spelling and grammar errors. First impressions last so submitting an application with errors will set you off to a bad start immediately. Most colleges and universities have a career centre that can help you with your applications if you need it - utilise this service!
4. Don’t waitIf there is a company you would absolutely love to work in there is no harm in contacting them for advice or expressing your interest. There are so many jobs out there that haven’t been advertised so if you email for advice or explain that you are looking for an internship and why this company is your dream place to work most companies will be more than happy to put you in contact with someone or offer some helpful advice. This is what happened in my case, I met someone for advice in the sector and lone behold I left with an internship and six months down the line I am still here and absolutely loving it.
5. OnlineEveryone is online, both professionally and personally. Having a strong LinkedIn profile will allow you to network in the industry. I would recommend explaining on LinkedIn that you are seeking an internship. Employers search LinkedIn a lot so make sure it is kept strictly professional.
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!