Tension headacheThese are the most common types of headaches and won't be severe enough to stop you going about your daily routine, but can last from several hours to several days. Symptoms are a constant ache around both sides of the head, as though a tight band is stretched around it. Cause: Exact causes are unclear, but have been linked to stress, poor posture, skipping meals & dehydration. Treatment: Can usually be treated with ordinary painkillers, lifestyle changes such as getting regular sleep and staying hydrated.
MigrainesLess common than tension headaches but more severe. Usually a throbbing pain at the front or side of the head. Some people might get other symptoms such as nausea, vomiting and increased sensitivity to light or sound. Treatment: Most people can treat migraines with over the counter medication but if they persist see a doctor to get stronger medication and advice.
Hormone headachesHeadaches in women are often caused by hormones, and many notice a link with their periods. The combined pill and pregnancy can be a trigger. Treatment: Reducing your stress levels, having a regular sleeping pattern and ensuring you're not missing meals can help to keep these headaches at bay.
Cluster headachesThese are quite a rare type of headache that occur in clusters for a month or two at a time. They're excruciatingly painful, causing intense pain around one eye and often occur with other symptoms such as a watering or red eye or runny nose. Treatment: See a doctor for specific treatments to ease the pain and prevent further headaches.
Other causes of headache:
- Drinking too much alcohol - basically dehydration (we've all been there!)
- A head injury or concussion
- A cold or flu
- Temporomandibular disorders (basically problems with your 'chewing' muscles)
- Sleep Apnoea
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!