I’ve grilled our email babe Becki, who studied at the University of Birmingham to give us the lowdown all about the heart of the West Midlands! Birmingham is a city that's vibrant, affordable and welcoming. Considered as the UK’s second capital city after London, Birmingham makes a great choice for university. Here are 7 things that the city has to offer to make your decision all the easier.
1. The ShoppingEveryone loves the Bullring - of course it’s full of fab shops like Cos, Kurt Geiger, Topshop and the rest but it’s also home to Selfridges. What those little yellow bags to do me, I don’t know! Head there for high-end makeup splurges and a more brands than you can shake a stick at. As well as the Bullring, the city centre has the Mailbox, Pavilions and Pallasades as well as all of the shopping streets in between. Just don’t blow all your student loan!
2. Digbeth & The Custard FactoryIf you’re more into vintage fashion and cool creative vibes than bustling city centres, Digbeth and The Custard Factory, the heart of Birmingham’s Creative Quarter are the places for you for vintage bargains galore. They’re always running antique fairs and theatre products amongst all the cafes and coffee shops. Image c/o Techspotters.co.uk
3. The Christmas MarketBirmingham may be the most landlocked city in the UK but missing out on sand and sea over the summer is more than compensated for come November. The German market steps Christmas up a notch. You won't find a better bratwurst this side of the channel!
4. Cadburys WorldIf you live in Bourneville or Selly Oak, you can literally smell the chocolate. Students get a great discount too and can visit for just £11.40 each. Enough said.
5. The competitionBirmingham has so many brilliant bars and clubs, you're always spoilt for choice. On student specific nights, you can guarantee a bit of friendly rivalry between the numerous local universities. Dominance is normally displayed by the uni that can cheer the loudest on the DJ's command!
6. The Selly SausageEvery University of Birmingham student has ended up here at least once in their time at uni. The best fry up I've ever eaten - it even made it on to The Independent's top ten list of student eateries! https://twitter.com/SellySausage/status/605627006248697856
7. The accentIf you haven't perfected the word 'volcano' said in a really over-exaggerated, drawn out brummy accent by the time you graduate, you've wasted 3 years of your life. Fact. And, yes, she can do it awesomely.
8. It's Prettier Than You Might ThinkI mean, check this out!
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!