1. Stick it outFor the first few weeks you will want to get straight back in the car and go home. But don't. As much as you want to this won't help you get over it, it will just reinforce how much you love home and will make you not want to go back to college. You need to be super brave and stick it out because we guarantee that it will get better.
2. Talk to your friends and family at homeBut, try not to only talk about how homesick you are. Aim to tell them at least 3 positive things about your time at college and this will hopefully reinforce to yourself that it's not as bad as you think.
3. Surround yourself with comfortsJust because you aren't at home, doesn't mean that uni can't feel like home. Take your duvet from home, buy yourself your favourite snacks and listen to your favourite songs that remind you of home. If they're happy songs, then all the better! Decorate your room exactly how you like and make sure that you have photographs of your family and friends surrounding you at all times. How about getting a digital photo frame that you can load all your favourite snaps onto and have playing on loop in your room?
4. Do new thingsThrow yourself into new activities and clubs and discover new skills, you never know what will happen and who you'll meet. Plus, you'll probably be having too much fun to feel homesick!
5. Don't wallow in your sadnessThis might sound brutal but don't let yourself have your own little pity party because it won't cure anything, you'll just feel worse and even more alone, unfortunately. It's OK to want to have alone time, of course, but you still need to be socialising and making the most out of college too! The most important thing is to not put a time stamp on when you think that you should feel better. It's different for everyone, you could feel better after a week of being away from home or it could take a couple of months. You'll get there! If you do find that you need, need, need to go home then don't forget that you can get a free railcard with O2 when you take advantage of the 20% off refresh offer! With a free railcard you can save up to a third on rail fares to get you all over the country!
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!