In case you missed it, Coventry was chosen as one of the top 50 student cities in the world this year. Even more impressively, Coventry was one of only 4 UK cities to make it into the top 50. So what makes Coventry such a great place to study?
1. Stay connectedCoventry’s fairly central to the UK, but that doesn’t mean you’ve got to stay in the midlands whilst you study. Coventry’s public transport links are well connected to the rest of the country – you can get to London in under an hour via the train, and Birmingham is only 20 minutes away. Trains aside, Coventry’s Bus Station is also home to National Express and Mega Bus services, which depart regularly to cities all around the UK. And if you’ve got travel abroad on your mind for the Easter break, Birmingham International Airport has connections by both rail and road to Coventry and boasts flights to thousands of destinations all around the world. So whether you’re looking for a night out in another city, to visit your folks back home, or the backpacking adventure of your lifetime – Coventry’s got the connections.
2. Night lifeCoventry boasts dozens of bars and nightclubs in the city centre, so you’ll never be without a venue for a night out. From enjoying quiet mid-afternoon drinks in The Phoenix, which offers the perfect selection of seasonal craft beers, to the cheap and cheery late night bar in Quids Inn, you’ll be spoiled for choice for pre-drinks. If clubs are more your thing Coventry caters for all music tastes. Indie nights are available at Scholars, JJ’s is home to all the house you could hope for, and Kasbah offers 3 rooms with a selection of music to keep all your new housemates happy!
3. Fargo villageCoventry has been the subject of major investment and redevelopment recently, and it’s constantly growing into the perfect student city. Fargo Village is the most recent edition, and boasts Coventry’s ‘creative quarter’. It’s full of lots of independent and local designers, artists, retailers and even has its own events. Fargo Village provides a totally different atmosphere and the perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of city life – and it’s right on your doorstep, around 15 minutes walk from the city centre.
4. CultureI’ll forgive you for not thinking of culture straight away when I say Coventry, but actually there’s far more to Coventry than its cathedral. In fact, Coventry is now bidding to be the UK City of Culture for 2021, but why? For starters, Coventry actually has 3 cathedrals, not 1, and each is steeped in its own history. There’s more though, Coventry is the birth of the iconic 2-tone ska movement, and The Specials. Not to mention the fact it’s home to the Belgrade Theatre, which showcases a wide variety of theatrical performances as well as hosting regular drama classes. And last but not least Coventry hosts the UK’s biggest free festival every year – Godiva Festival!
5. The students (of course!)Two universities in one city means, unsurprisingly, Coventry has a high population of students. This creates a great atmosphere for all. The diversity and range of people you’ll get to meet if you study in Coventry is one to be rivaled, and will certainly give you many more opportunities. Studying in Coventry, I’ve been lucky enough to meet people from all corners of the world, expand my cultural knowledge, make great friends and get involved with all kinds of exciting opportunities. I never would have known they existed had I studied somewhere else. 4 years on and I’m now in a position where I know someone in almost every country in Europe, many parts of Africa, and all over the world. This doesn’t just mean cheap accommodation when I travel, but a huge range of ever-expanding networks of working professionals with doors wide open at each one. These are my top 5 reasons to study in Coventry, but I can think of hundreds more. From the moment I visited on my first open day here, I felt I’d found my new home, and 4 years on I don’t regret a thing.
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!