1. Preparation is keyShave or wax the day or the morning before (if you're planning to apply overnight tan in the evening) as applying tan to freshly shaved skin can cause irritation. Then, exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate - this is the UNiDAYS Tanned Tribe mantra! We really like Yes to Coconuts Polishing Body Scrub which is available from ASOS for less than a tenner. This is fab for areas of dry skin and smells amazing. It's also non-oily, which is exactly what you need when you're about to apply tan.
2. MoisturiseOn the subject of oil - it's not your tan's best friend so invest in an oil-free moisturiser such as Fake Bake's Oil Free Moisturiser. Trust us, you won't regret it. Your tan will end up smoother, less patchy and the lotion or mousse will take a lot better to the skin and dry quicker too.
3. Always use a mittNow, this should be a no-brainer. Always use a mitt or tanning gloves because otherwise it will go everywhere. We recommend the Vita Liberata Tanning Mitt - available from House of Fraser.
4. If in doubt, test it (or go instant)Even the tanned-tribe are split over whether instant or over-night tan is the best. Allie's fave way of tanning is just sticking to a little instant tan and moisturiser mix in the morning for a subtle bit of colour if it's a skirt-wearing day - but legs only! Her weapon of choice is Fake Bake Faux Glo Instant Tan. [blockquote quote="It's literally like foundation for your legs - hello flawless! But, it's easy to get everywhere as it's a spray so be careful." name="Allie"] St Tropez Instant Tan Lotion is also a great instant tan and as it's a lotion, so it's easier to control! Katie's preferred tanning method is overnight as she prefers an all over tan. [blockquote quote="I've learnt the hard way that overnight tan is the best way. Sweat, water and white clothes do not bode well with instant tan. But you might need to invest in some dark sheets! Oh - and always tan your face." name="Katie"] Our favourite overnight tan is anything from the Vita Liberata range - it dries almost instantly and doesn't have (as much) of the biscuit-tin smell. It also lasts a really long time and can be reapplied after a few days to extend your tan. If you're worried about how your tan will turn out, do a patch test somewhere that isn't on show all the time - perhaps your stomach or upper thigh and check it out the next day!
5. Get a mateA white, patchy back is not going to look the best in that backless bodysuit so make sure you've got your mate, your mum or your boyfriend to apply some tan to your back and make sure you've got all bases covered. Happy tanning gals! Let us know if you'd like to see more beauty tips blog posts.
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!