Aside from the obvious reasons for wanting to visit Scotland (like excessive drinking and looking for the Lochness monster), I’ve got 10 reasons why you should visit Glasgow in particular.
1. ShoppingIt doesn’t matter what your style is; pick up a bargain at The Barras market, go retro in the Great Western Road vintage shops or get discounted goodies at the intu Braehead centre. We’ve got the most amazing student shopping night coming up on the 7th of October that you will definitely not want to miss. There’ll be massive discounts on shops and activities such as snowboarding and adventure golf, an after party at Soar, and even a VIP ice bar experience when you pre-book a place. Don’t miss out, sign up NOW! Image source estatesgazette.com
2. Street artTraditionally seen as vandalism, graffiti is now widely appreciated as urban art. And when it’s done this well how could anyone object? Image source aboutacityglasgow.wordpress.com
3. ArchitectureGlasgow is home to both intricately designed ancient buildings (that are very Harry-Potter-esque) and buildings that look so much like UFO’s that you start to wonder if aliens have landed on earth. When the university building is this beautiful, just think what you can expect from the rest of the city. Image sources visitscotland.com and isas2015.com
4. NightlifeGlasgow is home to loads of great clubs and DJ nights. We’ve heard great things about Nice ‘n’ Sleazy or Optimo on a Friday night at Sub Club! Image source 1aled.fotomaps.ru
5. WeatherIf you’re a cold weather fan (unlike me), then Glasgow is the place for you. The addition of snow can only make this city even prettier. Image source thesun.co.uk
6. ScenerySpeaking of pretty, whichever direction you drive, you are never more than an hour or two from somewhere as picturesque as this. Image sources cruisescotland.com and bbc.co.uk
7. CinemaOr ‘Film Theatre’ as they call it in Glasgow. If you’re tired of the same old films and mainstream arts then this could be just the thing you’re looking for. Image source film.list.co.uk
8. FoodGlasgow has some great restaurants and gastro-pubs; they also have some great places that cater for vegetarians and vegans - they’ve even been voted the most vegan-friendly city in the UK by Peta. Image source 13thnote.co.uk
9. MusicGlasgow has tonnes of music from live music venues to 11 year olds serenading you in the street! Image source buzzfeed.co.uk
10. FestivalsWhatever time of year it is, there will be some kind of festival going in Glasgow. They have a film festival, a comedy festival, a book festival, a jazz festival and everything you can think of in between so no matter what time of year you plan your Glasgow trip, there will definitely be something going on! Image source wow247.co.uk
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!