How much have you missed?
Here’s a recap of this week. Just click the story to read on!
https://giphy.com/gifs/news-scared-emergency-11tqljvNZyY3PW Gif source
- Trump signed a bill to reopen the government for three weeks while negotiations about border wall funding continue. A committee has been formed to keep the government open and facilitate a compromise.
- Roger Stone, a former Trump campaign advisor, has been indicted by the Mueller probe. He’s pleading not guilty.
- Bipartisan legislation has been introduced that moves to limit Trump’s power to levy tariffs for national security reasons.
- It was just discovered that the Trump administration changed the definitions of “sexual assault” and “domestic violence,” making them more specific and likely more challenging for victims to prove.
- Democratic lawmakers are urging the Pentagon to revise their recent climate change report which called climate change a national security issue. The report left out the top 10 most vulnerable military bases, as well as other pertinent data.
- Ariana Grande got a new tattoo to celebrate her song, “7 rings,” but instead of saying “7 rings,” the tattoo said “small charcoal grill” in Japanese. After the internet pointed it out, she had it 'fixed'....and it now translates to something like "Japanese BBQ finger".
- Lupita Nyong'o revealed that Taylor Swift’s music helped her get out of a “funk.”
- Drake gave two McDonald’s workers $100 tips this week in Los Angeles.
- The 2019 SAG Awards were this week. Here are the winners.
- Bradley Cooper joined Lady Gaga onstage in Las Vegas to perform ‘Shallow’ from “A Star Is Born.” Watch the video here.
- Angola has decriminalized gay sex, and made it unlawful to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation.
- At least 65 are dead and more are missing after a dam collapsed in Brazil. Five people have been arrested.
- A bug has allowed FaceTime users to access someone else’s camera and microphone before they answer the call.
- “Empire” star Jussie Smollett was the victim of what is believed to be a hate crime after people yelled racist and homophobic slurs, poured a chemical on him, and wrapped a rope around his neck. Police are investigating.
- Apple has revoked Facebook’s developer credentials over the ‘Facebook Research’ app, which paid teenagers $20 per month to mine their device data.
- A new study has shown a link between war and climate change, saying that climate change is contributing to worsening civil violence.
- Boeing successfully completed a test run of a flying car. The intention is to create air taxis that will reduce traffic congestion on land.
- A polar vortex is causing dangerously cold temperatures in parts of the US, especially the midwest.
- A giant rise in starfish disease and death is linked to global warming. Scientists are calling this “the largest disease epidemic ever observed in wild marine animals.”
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!