How much have you missed?
Here’s a recap of this week. Just click the story to read on!
- Senator Cory Booker from New Jersey announced that he will run for president in 2020.
- After Virginia photos of people wearing blackface and KKK garb were discovered in Governor Ralph Northam’s medical school yearbook, Virginia’s Attorney General, Mark Herring, admitted that he once wore blackface as part of a costume.
- Donald Trump’s second State of the Union was on Tuesday. Democratic congresswomen showed up wearing white to honor the Suffragette Movement.
- Senator (and likely 2020 presidential candidate) Elizabeth Warren has issued an apology for saying that she is Native American on a Texas bar registration card in 1986.
- More details about Alexandria Ocasio Cortez and Ed Markey’s New Green Deal were unveiled in a press conference.
- Ivanka Trump announced that she would lead a new White House women’s empowerment initiative focused on bringing economic stability to 50 million women in developing countries by 2025.
- After Adam Levine had a wardrobe malfunction during the Super Bowl Halftime Show, the internet was quick to recall the iconic Janet Jackson performance and point out a double standard.
- Rami Malek said in an interview that working with Bohemian Rhapsody director Bryan Singer, who has a number of sexual abuse allegations against him, was ‘not pleasant.’
- YouTube star Austin Jones is pleading guilty to child porn charges for persuading underaged girls to send him explicit photos.
- Apple’s new emojis for 2019 have been announced.
- After House Speaker Nancy Pelosi petty-clapped at Donald Trump during his State of the Union address, meme internet did its thing.
- Ariana Grande won’t be performing at or even attending the Grammys this year after disagreements with producers (among other drama).
- Rapper 21 Savage was arrested by ICE agents and accused of being from the UK, and not from Atlanta like he had previously stated. Jay-Z is lending him his lawyer.
- The Patriots beat the Rams 13-3 in the Super Bowl, making Tom Brady the NFL player with the most Super Bowl wins (6).
- A Texas man was killed when his e-cigarette exploded in his face and severed his left carotid artery, giving him a stroke.
- A student at UNC Greensboro thought her home was haunted, but instead discovered a man living in her closet and wearing all of her clothes.
- When police in Toronto went to arrest a serial killer, they found a ninth victim tied to his bed, still alive.
- NASA said 2018 was the fourth hottest year on record.
- After a seal ate and defecated a USB drive, scientists were able to view the footage on the still-working drive and are now using it to try to find its owner.
- Over 40 mummies have been discovered in good condition in an ancient burial ground in Egypt. They’re believed to date back over 2,000 years.
- Scientists found plastic debris inside the bodies of 50 dead sea mammals including whales, dolphins, and seals.
- A New York scientist is experimenting with modifying DNA in embryos with the hope of one day being able to use this technology to prevent genetic diseases.
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!