Although you may be looking forward to going home and eating loads of food that your mum makes better than you ever could, you may be less than excited at the prospect of living at home with your parents and siblings again when you've got so used to living however you want at uni. But don't fear - just follow our handy tips and you'll make it through the festive period!
1. Don't be childish
2. Help out around the house
Image source giphy.comIf you've brought all your laundry home for your mum to do then stop right there! You're an adult now and it'll be much easier to avoid having your mum nag you about not wearing a thick enough coat or trying to tell you what time to be home if you've done all your own chores.
3. Don't drop any bombshells
Image source jessiediggins.comOkay so perhaps Christmas dinner isn't the best time to tell your whole family that you're £900 into your overdraft already or to come out to your grandparents. Maybe keep that kind of information for after the cheese board?
4. Change the subject
Image source buzzfeed.comIf any tricky questions come up (such as who you're dating, how your revision is going or how much alcohol you drink on an average weeknight) then the best advice I can give is to just avoid at all costs! Change the subject and get your family talking about something else instead!
5. Laugh through it
Image source reddit.comSpeaking as someone whose grandma regularly offends and insults her, I know that the easiest way to deal with tricky family members is just to laugh it off. In fact, you probably won't make it through the Christmas holidays without your sense of humour.
6. If all else fails, block it outCan't cope any longer? Don't worry - Apple has got you covered with up to 15% off their amazing products! Whether it's a laptop for getting on with some uni work, a tablet for reading or playing games or a phone for seeing what your friends are getting up to on social media, they've definitely got what you need to get through Christmas. My ultimate must-have? These noise cancelling headphones! They'll easily block out any screaming siblings or moaning mums to ensure you have a stress-free break from uni.
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!