1. Break your routineOne of the scariest things about starting university is breaking your routine. Just because you’re in a new environment, it doesn’t mean you have to give up your hobbies or lose touch with friends - that’s what Skype is for! I am a serial planner, having a desk calendar, a diary, and making use of the agenda on my iPhone, I find comfort in knowing when and where I should be doing things; I find it hard to break these plans, but by shuffling things around and making time for new activities, it is a great step towards getting out of my comfort zone.
2. Join a clubAs I mentioned earlier, fresher’s isn’t all about drinking games and embarrassing stories, it’s a good opportunity to sign up to something you wouldn’t normally consider. You could do it with a friend, or you could be really brave and go it alone. Not only is this an easy way of meeting new people, you could find out that you’re actually really good at something unexpected!
3. Take a leadership roleBeing a newbie it’s easy to step back and let others take the lead, but why not be the one to take charge? Whether it’s a group presentation in class, or organising a night out with friends, having a sense of responsibility makes everybody feel good!
4. You might fail. It's OK.Starting university isn’t meant to be easy, and if people tell you it is, chances are they’re lying! Trying new things is part of the fun; you don’t have to enjoy all of them and you might not be good at them either, but that’s okay! Not everyone is a natural born athlete and by no means are we all good at arts and crafts (you should see my paper-mache!) At least you tried it, and that’s an accomplishment in itself.
5. Be yourselfIt’s a cliché, I know, but being yourself from day one really is the best prerogative to take. What’s the point in pretending to be somebody else? You’ll be a heck of a lot happier being you. There’s no use in worrying what other people think because if they don’t like it, that’s not your problem! Just be yourself and you’ll be sure to have a fab time!
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!