Oxford is an incredible place to study and was everything I wished it to be and more. Students may have more on their plates than in other universities, but students at Oxford have just as much fun. Below are 7 reasons why you should study in Oxford!
1. Beautiful BuildingsOxford is a picturesque city with it’s stunning streets, libraries and University buildings. Oxford is home to the oldest University in the world which is one of my top reasons for studying in the city. It’s a city of endless spires, between gorgeous gothic architecture, cobbled streets and historic pubs!
2. TraditionsAt University in Oxford you are welcomed into traditions that are hundreds of years old. It is the culture that makes it hard to find a reason to leave! Traditions such as the boat race, matriculation and croquet to name a few are all fantastic to be a part of. Matriculation is a ceremony for new students which you will attend wearing a sub-fusc (a traditional outfit including a mortarboard and gown which you will also wear to exams). These traditions are something you do not get at most other Univerisities which is what makes Oxford such a special place to study.
3. NightlifeStudents at Oxford know how to work hard and play hard! The city has a variety of nightclubs and bars of which I recommend Lava ignite and Bridge. If you enjoy dressing up, Oxford has many fancy dress opportunities and students at Oxford take pride in their fancy dress creativity!
4. Hogwarts!If you’re a Harry Potter fan, you will love Oxford. Inspiration was taken from The Great Hall at Christ Church to build the Hogwart’s Dining Hall in the studio. Some of the scenes in the first movie were actually shot at Christ Church! Image c/o Awesome photography
5. LocationOxford’s location is only 50 miles from London which makes it the perfect location if you want to head to the city one weekend. However, I found that there was really no need to leave Oxford as it has its own lovely selection of restaurants, nightlife and lots to do.
6. CafesOxford has many lovely cafes - the ideal place for a hangover cure! I recommend Turl Street Kitchen or Handlebar Bike Cafe which is a vibrant hangout for cyclists and students.
7. PuntingOne of my favourite things to do in Oxford was to go punting with friends. Nothing beats punting on the river on a sunny day enjoying the British weather! Image c/o Gollner
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!