BeforeWhen it comes to your pre-workout snack carbs are your friend, you need the energy to fuel yourself through that run or lifting session so get involved!
1. CaffeineGrab a coffee! It'll give you an energy boost, slow down your fatigue and increase the rate of fat burn.
2. Blueberry overnight oatsDon't be fooled! Overnight oats are not just for breakfast. They're the perfect pre-workout snack about an hour before you're due to train. It will gradually release sugar into your bloodstream and the fruit will boost your energy like nothing else! This is a great recipe to try.
3. Banana and peanut butter on whole wheat toastThis gives you a mix of complex and simple carbs and it's also really easy to digest and the fruit will give you a big energy boost.
AfterOnce your training is over you need to re-fuel your body with carbs and protein. Your post-workout feed must be high in both of these in order to repair muscles properly. By consuming a large amount of carbs you'll trigger an insulin release which will help to shuttle the carbohydrates and amino acids into your muscles to help them repair.
4. Protein smoothie bowlBlitz up some frozen banana with a scoop of protein powder and some milk (almond, soy or plain old semi-skimmed work best!). Don't use as much milk as you would for your standard drinkable smoothie, you want this to be a bit thicker than your average! Pour into your favourite bowl and top with berries, nuts and perhaps a touch of granola for some added crunch!
5. Chicken and pineapple skewersPineapple contains a natural anti-inflammatory called bromelian which helps to heal any bruises or swelling and also contains a tonne of vitamin C which is great for repairing tissue. Plus, your chicken will give you all the protein you need to repair your muscles. You could oven cook your chicken in a honey and chilli marinade and then finish them off under the grill with your pineapple and you've got an amazingly tasty meal. Serve with rice or pitta to up your carb content! Image Source
6. Eggs, avocado and salmon on toastBasically, the breakfast of champions is a great thing to eat post-workout because it is packed with protein, carbs and essential fats! Even if you're not an egg fan you can get everything you need just from salmon, avocado and toast and the same goes for if you're not a fish person. Plus it's absolutely delicious.
Even more from UNiDAYS
We bring the best discounts from the best brands to college and uni students, as well as exclusive videos, articles and loads of tips and advice to make your student life even better - all for free!
- Join now or log in to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Verify now to start saving on everything from food comas and fashion to (finally) getting fitter.
- Got a lot to say? We're always looking for awesome guest bloggers. Get in touch with your ideas!